Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Local Library Observation

I recently had the chance to sit back in a DC Public Library and browse the shelves to see what readers were being offered in terms of good diverse books, that addressed the needs of the neighborhood, and the readers. On this approach, I wanted to compare the same books that I blogged about in my Barnes and Noble experience, and see if they were dually available in this public library. Surprisingly most of them were available. There were a few that I was told were "out on loan" or that they could get from another DC Public Library. The availability of these books, and across the whole public library system was fairly up to par, and what I was expecting.

Like any place, these books hadn't been pulled from the shelves as some sort of feature or spotlight books, but they were certainly easily accessible with the other fiction books on the shelves. What I found interesting was that some of the books were labled as "MLK Day" or "Hispanic Heritage" which clearly indicated, to me at least, that these books at some point were part of a showcase for a particular day. I think that holidays or observances such as these (two for example) are vital for highlighting certain cultures, and tradtions that oftentimes aren't part of mainstream curiculum.

Being in DC, I had expected to see many books about diverstiy, and the different cultures that exist, however I feel that too often "diverse" books are based on skin color, or background. It is the opinion of this blogger, that there aren't enough teachers out there willing to introduce topics such as same gender parent households, or socio-economic status. Decades ago, it would have been taboo to read a text with a biracial family, but those times are done. It's time now to take another step and realize that situations such as the two examples are present in our society and are welcomed with open arms (in some cases). We must identify them, and allow the next generation (our students) to embrace the differences in family structure, or socio economic class and come to realize that its not wrong, just different...and difference is good!

No comments: